Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 135

ISO 100, 200mm, f/4.0, 1/320 sec.

Day 135 - Too close for comfort

We went over to the duck pond at sunrise this morning to see how all of the little babies were doing. The babies that entertained us last week were twice the size this week and there were more adorable babies.

I was mostly entertained by a pair of killdear running along the edge of the pond, flying off, flying back and singing all morning. As I walked along the edge of the pond one of them landed in front of me and behaved in a way I thought peculiar, but as I would get closer she would fly off and come back and do it again.

I looked it up when I got home only to find out that she considered me a predator. Apparently she had a nest nearby and she was pretending to be injured so that I wouldn't harm her babies.

She was an excellent actress, she's got a great look of fear in her eyes and every time she went into her act she was looking back at me.

ISO 100, 100mm macro, f/4.0, 1/160 sec.

This feather was laying in the grass near the pond.

2 comments:

  1. yeah...i've seen that happen before. it's a great defense mechanism that they have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice details on the feather.

    ReplyDelete