Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 548 - Smooth landing

ISO 100, 200mm, f/4.0, 1/800 sec

It has been so rainy all spring that we never made it over to the wetlands this spring. Now everything is fenced off because they are re-roofing the high school.

There is an opening, and we knew our way around it, so off to the wetlands we went.

Not much for activity except for a few ducks.

Karen wandered off to explore the construction and I began to wander down the creek to see what else I could find.


I was stopped dead in my tracks by this smoldering patch between the road and the very dead grass.

Neither of us had cell phones on us, so I couldn't call for help, I tried to stomp it out, but it quickly became clear to me that it wasn't helping. Fortunately, someone had pitched a 16 oz. empty pop bottle close by. I sat my camera down and hauled water back and forth from the creek until I had put out all of the smoking areas and surrounded the entire patch with water.

It may have gone out on it's own, but it would have been devastating to the wetlands if it hadn't. And since the entire area is barricaded, there is no telling when it started to smolder or when the next person to sneak in would come by.



The culprit.

2 comments:

  1. a beautiful photograph AND a good deed! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Another reason I hate cigarettes! I'm glad you did your good deed for the day, and those wetlands are beautiful! Definitely worth preserving!

    ReplyDelete