Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 184

ISO 100, 24mm, f/10, 6.0 sec.

Day 184 - Happy 4th of July

For the first time in years and years we went out to watch fireworks tonight. A friend of ours has a home across the street from where they set the fireworks off. It is located about an hour west of Salem in the small logging town of Falls City.

I spent some quality time on the Internet reading about how to take fireworks photos and followed their recommendations.

The first thing I learned, we were way to close for a 24mm lens, a wider angle would have been very nice. It's impossible to pinpoint exactly where the starbursts are going to happen.

There wasn't much time to make many adjustments, so I set the tripod up and let it stay in the same place. Wish I had moved it around a bit more.

I used the bulb setting with the cable release, changing the length of the shutter speed to accommodate the bursts. That was really successful for me.

I backed off just slightly from infinity, used manual focus and left my aperture at f/10.

I would watch for the launches and try to anticipate when to release the shutter.

It was fun, I'd highly recommend shooting fireworks if you get the chance.

Be safe, keep the pets safe and sound and have a great 4th.

9 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great shot! Very successful

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really nice job. I hope to get the chance to photograph some fireworks tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just awesome. I like the sparks in the background, it makes the foreground pop..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on capturing the fireworks.
    Thanks for sharing the details on how you accomplished this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! Great job. Obviously you were a great student because you learned well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice shot! Fireworks are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with this shot, it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on the fireworks! I didn't try to shoot them this year, last year was too much for me!

    ReplyDelete