Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 460 - Cheers part 1

ISO 400, 32mm, f/4.5, 1/20 sec.

This week is all about the learning curve, trying new things and landing just this side of fail.

Fortunately for me, tonight's photo has a wonderful back story. As I have mentioned before, I am doing the Project 52 that Don Giannatti over at Lighting Essentials has put together.

This weeks assignment is "Let's pour a beer" and catch the head coming up.

Since my preferred beverage of choice is coffee, the stronger the better, I had to look up head. So perhaps a better description for this assignment would have been pour a beer and make it fizz.

I was telling a friend of mine Chuck (he is part of the electronics faculty at the college) about this assignment with a deer in the headlights look, his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Oh beer!" he said with a smile that covered his entire face.

Apparently there is an entire cult of beer connoisseurs out there. Stout, fruity, malt, lager, amber, ale, dark, seasonal, pale, light, black, blonde, brown. All of these words were introduced into my vocabulary in 10 minutes or less and they all describe... beer.

Whatever happened to plain ole' Miller Time?

In an attempt to get a better lit pour and fizz, I will be going to what is described in the Beer Advocate review as a sketchy, not in the best neighborhood, convenience market that has far and above the best selection of beer in town. Apparently, Capital Market has a great selection of Northwest offerings as well as Belgium, German and other European imports.

Thanks for all of the hook-ups Chuck, I think.

And Megan and Holly, if you are reading this, I assure you that the aliens have taken over your mother.

3 comments:

  1. That's a heck of a lot of fizz!

    Was it any good? (The beer, that is, the picture is obviously lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who wouldn't know what all those terms mean! lol It does look very fizzy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry the set up for this shot is great. The reflection is amazing. Great lighting. I love learning new stuff too but never thought about beer - gesh, David might be happy about this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete