Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 479 - Save the Gribble Barn

ISO 100, 24mm, f/8.0,  1/80 and 1/1250 sec

As I was doing some research yesterday for Dr. Pierce's barn, I discovered another barn not far from our house... it is also in trouble.

The barn was built in 1907 and the barn itself is still owned by a Gribble, but the land it sits on is owned by someone that wants to see the barn go away.

The "Flying Double A" logo was painted on by a Portland company in 1986 to run in a national ad for Burger King. Maybe they should pony up to save the barn. :o))) Search as I may, I can't find a commercial or ad to back it up.

On a side note, I e-mailed a delightful blogger from Cottage Grove last night asking about the Pierce barn. It's fate is in jeopardy. The new owner of the property wants it torn down. The city council has given it a 90 day stay of demolition. Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. It makes me sad to think that such beautiful structures could be demolished instead of preserved. I can't imagine tearing down something that has seen so much history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sad.

    what to say but how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame. With all that land there isn't room for a handsome old barn. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love affair with barns so I am so loving this shot! The composition, the lines in the ground, everything. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame to lose such a slice of Americana. It looks worth preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice dramatic skies - it goes really well with your story. What a shame. Great image.

    ReplyDelete