Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 478 - Dr. Pierce and his pleasant pellets

ISO 100, 60mm, f/4.0, HDR 1/200, 1/3200,  1/800, 1/50, 1/13 sec

Our ambitious adventures had us up and out of the house early this morning. We were on our way to Cottage Grove. 

We were totally food motivated. Two years ago we were down there to do the covered bridge tour and stumbled upon the best barbeque restaurant. We took a chance and found it just as tasty as two years ago.

Who on earth was Dr. Pierce? What are these Pleasant Pellets? He was born in 1840 and set up shop as a medical doctor in Pennsylvania in his 20s. In 1875 he published a book, The People’s Common Sense Medical Adviser in Plain English, still available on Amazon for the Kindle. He mastered the art of advertising his magic tonics and pellets, complete with testimonials.

As for the Pleasant Pellets, they are the miracle cure for constipation and torpid liver, in addition to taking care of the headaches, dizziness, sour stomach, loss of appetite, indigestion, dyspepsia, windy belchings, heartburn, pain and distress after eating, and kindred derangements of the stomach, liver and bowels. Oh, and they are the result of years of study and experience.

I feel better already.

4 comments:

  1. I love old painted barns like that! It's even cooler that you found out the history of the ad and the man behind it! Now, if I could just get my hands on some barbecue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I'm not sure if I should better knowing I don't have all those things, or worse thinking that I could get them. Hmmm.... I don't suppose he still makes those pellets? :)

    Great shot! I love pictures of old buildings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great story! Nice job with the image.

    ReplyDelete